Saturday, March 3, 2012

Week #6

Now I think is the time we should begin conducting our surveys and collecting information on those who are willing to participate in further interviews. I have been beginning to think about how we will divide up this task as I am beginning to realize how much work this will actually take. As we are aiming to collect data from twenty-five students from each major I think we should perhaps assign each person in the group two or three majors to focus on as this will make it easier for everyone. I also think we should be very sure to hand the surveys out to more people than we actually require so that we have backup in case some of the data proves to be invalid or we do not receive a response from the student.
I found the articles we read on "bad" research fascinating. I have always wondered where those shocking statistics in newspapers come from but was naive enough to trust that they were provided by legitimate sources. I now find myself second guessing things I read, taking everything with a pinch of salt and trying to infer from the article how the research was conducted. Social research is more complex than people imagine and it is all too easy to be lazy with it and produce misleading information which is conveyed to the public as truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment